An AC fan motor can last more than 12 years if it’s kept clean and cooled as needed. On the other hand, without annual maintenance checkups, your fan motor may only survive between one and three years.
How do I know if my fan motor is bad?
Signs and Symptoms of a Bad AC Fan Motor
- The fan won’t start even though the AC is on.
- The fan won’t stop, even when you shut the AC off.
- The fan turns on, yet the blades are rotating very slowly.
- There’s a rattling noise coming from the condenser unit when the fan is turned on.
What makes a fan motor go bad?
The main causes of failure are loss of lubricant, a failed run capacitor, a failed bearing in a belt drive, a little water dripping into the windings or a voltage problem. So technicians should carefully check to find the cause of a failure before changing the motor.
How long does HVAC fan motor last?
Even though the manufacturer states their blower motor will last two decades, we advise all clients to expect a 10-20-year life span due to age, use, and proactive maintenance.
How much does it cost to replace a condenser fan motor?
The average cost of a condenser fan motor is between $300 and $500 (not including installation). If the compressor breaks, you are looking at a much costlier problem which could cost up to $2000. In some cases, your fan motor may be under warranty.
What happens when condenser fan fails?
When the condenser overheats, all of the components of the AC system will begin to overheat until they eventually get hot enough to burn and emit an odor. … A failed fan will not only fail to produce cold air, but can even result in damage to the AC system due to overheating.
What are the signs of a bad blower motor relay?
Symptoms of a bad heater blower motor resistor
- Fan does not work at all, so no air comes out of the vents.
- Fan only works on some speeds and not others.
- Fan only works on the highest speed.
- Fan runs all the time and can’t be controlled with the fan switch.
- You see smoke coming out of the vents.
How do you test a fan motor?
Unplug fan motor and place black lead of meter on black wire of fan motor and red lead of meter will go to the other fan leads one at a time. See attached charts for proper ohm readings for your specific motor.
How often should you replace a blower motor?
Blower motors that are clogged with debris, or that become saturated with moisture can fail due to overworking or electrical shorts. Something to consider when replacing the blower motor in your HVAC system is how often you are paying for repairs. Most residential furnaces should last between fifteen and twenty years.
When should I replace my AC fan motor?
5 Signs That Indicate a Failing AC Fan Motor
- The fan won’t start even though the AC is on. …
- The fan continues to run, even when shutting off the AC. …
- The fan is on but rotating very slowly. …
- The fan runs intermittently. …
- There’s a rattling or buzzing noise coming from the condenser unit when the fan is turned on.
How much does it cost to replace a fan capacitor?
HVAC Capacitor Cost
Prices generally range between $120 and $250, including professional installation. Branded units are more expensive, costing upwards of $400 or more. The price you pay depends on the brand, model, voltage and the labor required for installation.
What does it mean when your AC unit fan stops spinning?
One of the most common reasons fans stop spinning is because of a dead capacitor. … Each air conditioning system has several capacitors, including the start capacitor, which sends signals to the motor, and the run capacitor, which keeps the motor running. Capacitors can go bad over time and need to be replaced.